The Columbus Police Department has a cultural liaison officer for various cultures representative of our community and civic organizations within and around the community of Columbus. To serve as a catalyst to promote positive enduring relationships between the Columbus Police Department and the culturally diverse community it serves and protects.
The objectives of this office are to:
- Develop & present training curriculums to law enforcement personnel, community members, and individuals of minority groups, i.e.:
- Provide current and ongoing cultural awareness & diversity training.
- Facilitate focus group discussions.
- Have scheduled and informal follow up Outreach meetings with minority community representative members, i.e.: African-Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, India, Hispanic (Su Casa Columbus) and others requesting such interaction.
- Assist with recruiting new police officers.
- Develop and maintain a civilian group of interpreters.
- Provide: interpreter / translator services (at need basis) for criminal investigations when requested by my department and outside law enforcement agencies.
- Provide basic laws (do’s & don’t) information and education to Latino-Hispanic community.
- Pass on investigative alerts & trends from other law enforcement communities to CPD personnel.
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact Lt. Matt Harris at 812-376-2605 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .