The Honorable Kristen Brown was elected the 36th Mayor of the City of Columbus in 2011 winning by a margin of more than 2 to 1 and receiving more votes than any mayoral candidate in the city’s history.
Mayor Brown assumed office on January 1, 2012 and immediately began delivering on her promise of responsive and accountable city government operating with transparency, open access, fiscal discipline and providing efficient, effective services to the citizens of Columbus. Mayor Brown also embarked on developing Columbus’ first community-wide strategic plan which paints a bold vision for Columbus and defines the community’s highest strategic priorities.
Mayor Brown came from a successful career in business, holding numerous positions of increasing responsibility in the fields of banking, investment management and the computer software industry. Most recently, Mayor Brown led several large corporate divisions with multi-million dollar budgets in the software industry, one of the most demanding and competitive industries in the world.
Brown was a senior executive and Vice President of several leading companies including publicly-traded legends like Oracle and Intuit, the developer of Quickbooks, Quicken and TurboTax. She also worked as the Vice President of Corporate Development at ExactTarget in Indianapolis before she chose to retire from the software industry.
Mayor Brown was born in Columbus and has deep roots in the community. She is a sixth generation resident of Bartholomew County on her mother’s side of the family and a fourth generation resident of Columbus on her father’s side.
Brown graduated in the top ten of her class from Columbus North High School in 1982. She graduated from Brown University with a B.A., magna cum laude, in 1986 and from Harvard University with an M.B.A in 1993.
In addition to chairing the city council’s meetings, Mayor Brown also serves on the following:
• City of Columbus Board of Public Works and Safety, Chair;
• City of Columbus Redevelopment Commission, Chair;
• City of Columbus Capital Improvements Committee;
• City of Columbus Insurance Review Committee;
• City of Columbus Police Department Pension Board;
• Columbus Area Metropolitan Planning Organization; and
• Bartholomew County Solid Waste Management District Board.
Mayor Brown is very active in the broader community as well and serves on the following:
• Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce Board;
• Columbus Indiana Economic Development Board;
• Columbus Area Economic Growth Council;
• Columbus Capital Foundation Board;
• Community Education Coalition Board;
• Healthy Communities Council;
• Heritage Fund Board of Directors; and
• IUPUC Board of Advisors.